Thrilling series with Jackets ends in 1-1-1 stalemate

The Virginia baseball team came out of a highly-contested series — in which each game was determined in the final inning — against Georgia Tech this weekend with a 1-1-1 deadlock.

The Cavaliers lost 7-6 on a walk-off single in game one and then rallied during a six-run ninth for an 11-10 victory in game two. In the series finale, which was restricted by a time limit, Virginia knotted the score in the bottom of the ninth, resulting in a 4-4 tie.

Georgia Tech (21-8-1, 10-5-1 ACC) led the bizarre game three Sunday 4-3 to begin the ninth inning before Virginia junior catcher Franco Valdes knocked in the tying run with an RBI-single. With runners on first and second and no outs, however, Virginia (28-7-1, 9-6-1 ACC) could not push the winning run across. After sophomore pitcher Kevin Arico retired the side in the bottom of the ninth, the 4-4 score became final because of Virginia’s travel arrangements in accordance with ACC policy. This is the second time the Cavaliers have been affected by a time limit this season; the team played an eight-inning game because of time constraints in the series finale against Miami March 22, a 7-5 loss.

In game two, the Cavaliers faced a 10-5 deficit going into the ninth inning. Yellow Jackets freshman closer Mark Pope recorded just two outs to start the ninth while giving up five hits and walking two though, and Georgia Tech committed an error as Virginia scored six runs to take the 11-10 advantage. Arico then threw a scoreless ninth to earn his third save of the season.

The series opener started Friday but was suspended to Saturday after 3 1/3 innings because of inclement weather. Freshman pitcher Danny Hultzen threw for the duration of Friday. After the delay, Virginia coach Brian O’Connor had sophomore pitcher Tyler Wilson toe the mound as the game resumed Saturday with the score 3-2 in Virginia’s favor. Wilson gave up two runs in 3 2/3 innings, but the Cavaliers rallied for three runs to take a 6-4 lead going into the bottom of the eighth.

Junior closer Matt Packer, though, could not seal the win, allowing three runs on sixth hits in 1 1/3 innings. The loss dropped the 2008 ERA title winner to 1-3 on the season and inflated his ERA to 4.24.

The Cavaliers’ scheduled Tuesday game against Coastal Carolina was canceled because of forecast inclement weather and will not be rescheduled. Virginia will take the field Wednesday against Radford at home; in the teams’ previous matchup March 31, the Cavaliers beat the Highlanders 12-2 in Salem, Va.

—compiled by Paul Montana