Varsity rowers set example in races against Lady Vols, Knights

The No. 13 Virginia women’s rowing team won 10 of 12 races Saturday against No. 19 Tennessee and Central Florida at Lake Monticello. The varsity boats, which swept their races, sought redemption after a disappointing showing last weekend against then-No. 16 Ohio State, a regatta in which the Cavaliers dropped three races.

The morning session against Tennessee included victories from the Cavaliers’ Varsity Eight, Second Varsity Eight, Varsity Four and Open Four. The Varsity Eight boat completed its race in 6 minutes, 36.8 seconds, defeating Tennessee’s boat by nearly 10 seconds. Meanwhile, the Second Varsity Eight boat also won comfortably in 6:38.7, compared to the Lady Vols’ 6:46.5. The Varsity Four dominated with 7:44.5, while Tennessee finished in 8:14.4. Additionally, the First Novice Eight won against Clemson, which competed in the regatta because of Tennessee’s lack of novice boats.

The Virginia boats showed no signs of slowing down in the afternoon session against Central Florida. Three of the four boats that raced in the morning — the Varsity Eight, Varsity Four and First Novice Eight — improved their times in the second test of the day. Virginia’s only losses Saturday came from its Second Novice Eight boat, which dropped races against Clemson and Central Florida.

The Cavaliers will prepare for Monday’s ACC Championships in Oak Ridge, Tenn., where they will vie for their 10th consecutive conference crown.

—compiled by Nick Eilerson