Women

Junior midfielder Brittany Kalkstein led the Cavaliers against Boston College Saturday, totaling three goals, six draw controls and one assist.

The No. 9 Virginia women’s lacrosse team secured a much needed win as the Cavaliers escaped with an 11-9 victory against Boston College Saturday.

Virginia (9-5, 2-3 ACC) once again got off to a quick start scoring four out of the first five goals, partly because of junior midfielder Brittany Kalkstein’s six draw controls. Senior midfielder Blair Weymouth led the Cavalier attack with four goals while Kalkstein chipped in three goals.

The Cavaliers followed up their win against Boston College with a 13-9 victory Sunday against Harvard. Virginia used a 9-0 run in the middle of the game to secure the win. Junior midfielder Kaitlin Duff finished the day with a career-high four goals and a career-high seven caused turnovers. Senior midfielder Ashley McCulloch and senior attack Jenny Hauser each scored three goals. Senior Sara Hairfield, meanwhile, started the first game of her career in goal and collected a career-high 11 saves en route to her second win of the season.

—compiled by Ben Gomez