ITC switches to online help desk available all day, everyday

The Information Technology and Communication office now offers technical service 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Previously ITC only offered service during normal business hours, but "of course people here work outside those hours," said Mike McPherson, University associate vice-president and deputy CIO.\nAn outside contractor based in Cleveland, Ohio, mans the phone line rather than student employees.\nCurrently the new help desk, labeled 4HELP@UVa, does not offer solutions to problems with the new Student Information System. Terry Lockard, ITC director of computing support services, said she expects the new help desk to be completely ready by mid-November to December of this year.\nMcPherson said the initial response to the system, which debuted Aug. 3, has been very positive. He said the office has received 85 customer survey responses and that the average "overall experience" rating has been around four out of five.\nThe new help desk offers a variety of interfaces through which University community members can receive help. These include live chat, remote desktop troubleshooting and a hotline, 434-924-HELP.\n-compiled by Matt Conover