Bookstore partners with Boys and Girls Club to donate T-shirts

Virginia football T-Shirts can be purchased for $10 at University Bookstore; shirts will be given to young children in Albemarle, Charlottesville communities

The University Bookstore has partnered with the Boys and Girls Club of Central Virginia to donate University football T-shirts to Charlottesville and Albemarle County youths.

The shirts can be purchased for $9.99 at the University Bookstore or online to be distributed to the young members of the Boys and Girls Club, said James Pierce, executive director of the Boys and Girls Club of Charlottesville/Albemarle.

"It gives fans an opportunity to support kids in their community," he said. "It's giving fans an opportunity to give back."

The University Bookstore was responsible for launching the T-shirt initiative, Pierce said.

"They came to us," he said, adding that the bookstore decided to reach out to the Boys and Girls Club in particular because "they thought of the kids."

Jonathan Kates, executive director of the University Bookstore, echoed this sentiment, noting that the program's goal was "to get these shirts in the hands of as many boys and girls as possible."

Pierce estimated, though, that only about 20 T-shirts have been delivered thus far. He attributed the program's slow progress to a lack of publicity.

"It wasn't really publicized until a week and a half ago," he said.

Pierce said the bookstore delayed advertising the program - which was formally agreed upon three weeks ago - to coincide with the beginning of football season.

Though the team is off to a rough start, Kates said he expects donations to pick up soon. The program has "gained momentum as it has become publicized," he said.

The program will run for the entirety of football season, which Pierce said is well timed for the Boys and Girls Club.

"It just so happens that we have a bunch of tickets for the Duke game," Pierce said. The organization purchased 250 tickets for the Oct. 31 home game, and hopes to see many of its members dressed to support the Cavaliers.