Referee error causes field hockey game cancellation

The No. 3 Virginia field hockey team was forced to cancel its contest versus Radford University, scheduled for 5 p.m. yesterday because of officiating mishaps.

"There was a miscommunication concerning scheduling," Virginia sports media intern Fiorella Roca said. "Originally, the referees had Nov. 1 on their schedules but were wrong. Because of both team's conflicting schedules, the game will not be rescheduled or played this season."

According to ACC regulations and rules, the game clock will only start on the referee's ready-for-play signal. Unable to assemble a group of officiators after a 30-minute postponement, Virginia was forced to cancel the non-conference matchup, Roca said.

Virginia is 13-0 against non-conference opponents this season, including a 4-0 record against other squads from the commonwealth. A win against Radford would have set up a two-game winning streak.

The Cavaliers (15-2, 2-2 ACC) will conclude the regular season at 1 p.m. Saturday against Duke. Virginia's two seniors, back Lauren Elstein and midfielder Traci Ragukas, will be honored after the match.

-compiled by Meryem Karad