Council continues to fight economic woes

Charlottesville leaders plan 2011 fiscal year budget, will account for flat-lining, declining revenue streams

The Charlottesville City Council will continue to plan its 2011 fiscal year budget throughout December and January, looking for ways to overcome obstacles raised by the current economic state.\nAt Council's Nov. 16 meeting, Council members discussed the 2011 fiscal year budget for the first time.

"Our revenues have been flat-lining or declining in some areas," Mayor Dave Norris said, adding that state funding has diminished as well.

Council Member Holly Edwards said she is "really concerned about how the Richmond budget is going to affect Virginia localities."

Despite a decline in revenues, Norris said he is still confident that Council will be able to carry out many of the tasks it wants to, but perhaps not to the extent that it had originally hoped. Council members still expect to draft a budget that caters to citizens' needs.

"I think that in a way a budget process in a tight economy forces us to concentrate on what is important and make sure we support that," member elect Kristin Szakos said.

Szakos will take office Jan. 4, replacing outgoing Vice Mayor Julian Taliaferro, whom she defeated in Charlottesville's "unassembled caucus" to earn one of two spots for the Democratic general election ticket. Szakos said Council will work to ensure that the budget - which Council hopes to approve in April - is fiscally responsible and that it reflects the city's priorities.

To better meet these priorities, Council is conducting a citizen budget survey, Norris said. The survey, sent to thousands of city residents, asks for their input as to how they would like to see their money spent.

"We're trying to put together a budget that meets the goals of council and the goals of the communities but we recognize these are tight financial times," Norris said.

Council also held a budget work session yesterday in which members spent time "looking at and talking about the overall budget framework for next year," Norris said, adding that these budget work sessions will probably continue through March along with public hearings on the budget.

Also during the first Council meeting of 2010, Council will decide which of its members will become mayor and vice mayor. Each position serves a two-year term.

"It is not entirely clear who the next mayor is going to be, but I have been pushing [council member] Holly Edwards to consider doing it and I think she's considering it," Norris said.

Edwards said she is giving Norris' suggestion "prayerful consideration, but that the decision will be made in January with the new City Council."

If Edwards chooses not to run for the position, Norris said he would then consider holding the position for another two years.

"It's been a good experience, but I wouldn't mind stepping aside if there is somebody else who steps forward with the leadership that this Council needs," he said.