Clinic combines departments for hand treatment

Center for patients with upper extremities pains replaces inefficient virtual unit

The University Health System officially debuted its new Hand Center last Thursday after nine years of development and planning. The new center, which was once a virtual clinic, is now specifically geared toward hand, wrist and upper extremities treatment.

The hospital's virtual clinic was founded in 2003 by Dr. Bobby Chhabra, medical co-director of the center. At its founding, the virtual clinic operated from several different locations throughout the orthopedic and plastic surgery departments, which proved to be problematic. Patient care, communication and coordination were lacking, and sending patients to different locations for different services was inefficient, Chhabra said.

Now that the clinic and its services have been combined into a single center, officials hope that the clinic will operate more efficiently.

"This is really very neat that we're all under one space now," Clinic Manager Veronica Brill said. "The way we have the clinic set up really allows for collaborative practice between orthopedics and plastic surgery."

The new clinic offers many state-of-the-art services, such as X-ray, magnetic resonance imaging, computed tomography-scan and therapy, Chhabra said.

"We provide the highest level of care that you will get anywhere in the world here in Charlottesville for hand and upper extremity problems," Chhabra said. "Our goal is to become a national center of excellence."

Additionally, the center is the first green clinic at the University.

Recyclable materials and energy star electrical equipment were used in the construction of this green space, Brill said. The building is currently in pursuit of receiving a LEED Silver standard.\nChhabra said he has received very positive feedback from patients thus far. Because patients with hand injuries tend to suffer from more anxiety, Chhabra said he designed the clinic with patient comfort and convenience in mind.

"We are very patient-focused," Brill said.