Greek for all

Bringing more international students to fraternities and sororities will benefit both the Greek system and foreign students

One of the biggest challenges that international students face is the difficulty of integrating into the mainstream University life. Expectantly, many international students form and revert to their own student organizations, which provide foreign students a comfortable environment. But often time, these organizations become the only extracurricular outlet for many international students: who are consequently insulated from the rest of the University community. One misconception that perpetuates the isolation is the view that foreign students want to be with students like themselves. But most of these international students did not come all the way across the ocean to just hang out with Europeans or Asians. Based on my personal interactions with many international students - particularly Chinese - most of them desire to spend most of their time with Americans. Language and cultural barriers, however, make social interactions very difficult. Studying at the University for nearly four years, I have often heard of the following typical encounter between an American student and a foreign student. It begins with the usual trite exchanges such as "where are you from?" "Oh cool! How do you like it?" "It's fine." The American students have to go out of their way to befriend international students, who are self-conscious about their own language skills and cultural knowledge. The impediments of language and culture significantly reduce an international student's shot at establishing deep friendships with American students.

I strongly believe that bath fraternities and sororities provide promising potential for bringing the foreign student body into the University community. First of all, the traditional Greek system is a distinctively American institution. In fact, when I was in China this past winter, I consistently had trouble explaining what fraternities are to my friends and family. Participating in such a emblematically American phenomenon marks an important step of one's successful integration into the American society.

Secondly, fraternities and sororities are perfect training grounds for foreign students to practice their English. The two-week rush process itself forces people to talk quite extensively with the brothers or sisters to make an impression. If a student gets a bid, then the rigor of the pledge semester will expose him to countless conversations with American students. As someone whose second language is English, I realized that the best way to improve my English is to listen, speak, and write in English as much as possible.

Thirdly, the Greek organizations will enable international students to better understand the American culture via fraternity and sorority programs. The fraternity songs, rituals, date functions, formals, mixers and parties give international students opportunities to experience different facets of the American social life. In less formal settings, brothers have many chances to just get together and converse. Through these conversations and interactions, true friendships will be formed.

The University seems to encourage this line of thought. According to Mike Citro, assistant dean of students and director at the office of fraternity & sorority life, "bringing more international students to the Greek system is highly beneficial." Citro commented that international students have many opportunities to form deep friendships by going Greek. Most people join fraternities and sororities because of the people in them. They are interested in making brotherhood and sisterhood through rich conversations and shared activities. Another benefit to foreign students is the preparation for life beyond college that Greek organizations provide by engaging members in different social functions, sporting events, and philanthropy events. Meanwhile, fraternities and sororities also will become more dynamic and innovative as their membership base encompasses people with different backgrounds.

The IFC echoes Citro's opinion on this issue. In recent years, the IFC has taken initiatives to include more international students. IFC President Charles Gamper spoke candidly about the effort to reach out to the international student body. During the annual International Orientation in August, the IFC hosts an ice cream social for incoming international students and introduces the rush and pledging processes to them. Brothers and sisters from different houses are also present to talk directly with the new students from overseas, clarifying some of the misconceptions that foreign students have about the Greek system. Although the IFC does not officially track the number of international students, more than a few foreign students pledged this spring.

Diversity has become such a buzz-word at the University. I fundamentally believe that any initiative to integrate people with different profiles needs to start from the grass-roots level. The Greek system appears to be one of the best ways to make the experience on Grounds as memorable to international students as it has been for Americans.

Paul Chen is a Viewpoint Writer for The Cavalier Daily.