Officials revamp Amphitheater

Crews will construct new sidewalk, resod grass area during March renovations

Landscape crews began making improvements to the Amphitheater last week as the first phase of a project to improve the appearance of the area.

Thus far, crews have torn up the grass in preparation for laying down new sod. Plans also include renovating a service yard between the back of the Amphitheater and Bryan Hall and will construct a 10-foot wide gravel sidewalk to run along the curved base of the Amphitheater, landscape superintendent Richard Hopkins said.

The project will cost $400,000 and will partly be paid for with some of the University Arboretum and Landscape Committee's endowment funds, with major support coming from the Grounds Improvement Fund, landscape architect Mary Hughes said. This fund, she said, collects a 1.5 percent assessment on all capital projects at the University so as to make improvements to "the general public landscape."

Hughes noted that the Amphitheater, a highly visible feature of Grounds, "was pretty derelict," and these improvements will help to rectify this.

Hopkins said he hoped the sidewalk will encourage people to walk around instead of cutting across the grass, and, in addition, will make the Amphitheater appear larger. Provided that it does not rain, crews will lay down grass by Wednesday, he said.

Inclement weather has impeded the progress of other parts of the project. For example, the renovation of the service yard began in the fall and was set to finish by Thanksgiving, it was delayed because of snow and engineering problems, Hopkins said.

"It has been impossible to work for two months of the winter," Hughes said. "Now that they are under construction again, things are moving along."

Hughes said the goal of this portion of the project is to make the "very unsightly service yard" blend in with its surroundings. Underneath the new sidewalk paving, she said, will be a cistern that will collect rainwater for irrigation, mainly for the grass in the Amphitheater. It also will address a health safety issue, as trucks often idle in front of the air intake to Bryan Hall.

"The overall project is a win on many fronts - improving aesthetics, providing a source of non-potable water and restricting vehicular access in areas where fumes are a health hazard," Hughes said.\nThe target finish date for the project, she said, is the first week of April.