This land is our land

State parks are becoming an endangered species

The celebrated conservationist and steward of the American wilderness, Theodore Roosevelt once said, "We have fallen heirs to the most glorious heritage a people ever received, and each one must do his part if we wish to show that the nation is worthy of its good fortune." As 26th president of the United States, Roosevelt helped preserve over 230 million acres of American wilderness for future generations. Roosevelt's spirit of conservationism and environmentalism should be emulated by both the Obama administration and state governments during these trying economic times. Leadership is needed more than ever as state governments across the country have detailed proposals to cut funding and start closing state parks and historic sites.

State parks are publicly protected lands meant for the enjoyment of American families. They are sites of inspiration and history which have been passed down from generation to generation. Often they serve as primary tourist attractions. Through the protection of state parks and historic sites we can preserve American heritage and culture. Especially during economic hardship, state parks are a place families can go to escape the difficulties of reality and to simply bask in America's beauty. Sadly, the federal government and state governments across the country are failing to protect these parks and historic sites.

New York State has recently made news after Governor David A. Paterson announced devastating budget cuts and closures to state parks and historic sites. Gov. Paterson and the State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation revealed that around a quarter of the state parks and half of the state historic sites will be closed to meet New York's budget crisis. Steps have already been taken to proceed with the closures. Approximately 41 New York state parks and 14 historic sites will be closed, Paterson said. Many of these parks will most likely close their gates completely to public access for security reasons.

These closures are accompanied by another 20 million dollar budget cut to state park funding. According to the executive director of Parks and Trails New York, Robin Dropkin, "It's the first time ever that parks will have closed in New York State due to budget constraints." Dropkin also said, "Even during the Great Depression parks remained open. They're sending back reservation money, so that's a pretty good sign that they're not crying wolf."

One historic site facing the chopping block in New York is the John Brown Farm State Historic Site in North Elba. I grew up exploring the meadows of John Brown's farm and learning the history of one of America's most important abolitionists. To me, the site is one of the best-kept secrets of upstate New York, home to some of America's most fabulous wildlife, lakes and outdoor regions. A small cabin that sits engulfed by the Adirondack Mountains, John Brown's farm is a location rich with natural splendor and historical legacies. Known mostly by locals, the farm where Brown resided is now a place where families can enjoy a picnic during the summer, watch the fall colors or delight in the spring flowers. John Brown is a historical hero, known for leading a raid on the U.S. Arsenal at Harpers Ferry, Virginia in 1859. Though the raid failed and Brown was subsequently hanged for treason, it was a significant event leading up to the Civil War. If the site is shut down, Americans will not only lose an irreplaceable piece of land but an important piece of history.\nThese cuts are not unique to New York - other state governments have proposed similar closures. To alleviate the California budget crisis, Governor Schwarzenegger proposed closing 220 state parks. In total, his proposal promised to cut state park funding by 70 million dollars. Among the sites being closed are several parks home to the California Redwoods.\nIn our own Virginia, Gov. Bob McDonnell has proposed closing five state parks. The parks to be closed in his proposal include Twin Lakes, Caledon, Mason Neck, Staunton River Battlefield, and False Cape State Parks. Twin Lakes and Staunton River Battlefield State parks have great historical significance to both Virginia and the United States. Caledon and Mason Lake are also home to diverse wildlife such as the bald eagle.\nThese closures of state parks and historic sites across the country represent an assault on America's heritage. President Obama needs to step up and lead the nation as his predecessor Theodore Roosevelt once did. President Barack Obama recently confirmed that he is reading "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt," a biography written by Edmund Morris. Our president ought to take a page out of Teddy Roosevelt's book and renew wildlife conservation as priority of his administration. Quality of life is worth something. We should not forsake our heritage and environment to save our economy. President Obama must continue to show leadership in protecting the environment and American history, fulfilling the promises of his campaign. If we do not preserve and protect our country today, there will be nothing left for tomorrow.\nAshley Chappo's column appears on Fridays. She can be reached at a.chappo@cavalierdaily.com.