Virginia extends stretch of top-five finishes to seven

The No. 20 Virginia men's golf team placed third this weekend at the Schenkel E-Z-GO Invitational, held in Statesboro, Ga. The finish, which marks the third time the squad has placed third this season, continues their streak of seven top-five finishes.

During Friday's first round, Virginia junior Will Collins shot a 4-under 68, giving him the lead after 18 holes. Senior Kyle Stough was not far behind with a 1-under 71. Virginia was one shot behind leader North Florida with a score of 286 at the conclusion of round one.

Virginia concluded the second day of play with a 36-hole score of 573 - two shots behind second-place Auburn. North Florida remained in first place with a score of 564. Collins continued to lead the Cavaliers, with a score of 141 after two rounds, putting him in sixth on the leaderboard. Sophomore Ben Kohles bounced back from a tough first round of 4-over 76 to move up to 17th after scoring a 4-under 68 in the second round.

Despite having to cope with rain, the Cavaliers maintained their third-place standing during the final round. Collins remained in sixth, finishing the tournament with a score of 213 - two shots back from the leaders. Kohles continued to play well during the final round, posting an 18-hole score of 1-under 71 to move him up to 10th with an overall score of 215.

By the end of the weekend, Virginia finished with a score of 865, two shots behind second-place North Florida but still ahead of ACC contenders N.C. State and North Carolina, as well as eight Southeastern Conference schools.

Virginia's next tournament is the Hootie at Bulls Bay near Charleston, S.C. from March 28 to 30.

-compiled by William Hrachovina