Gosselin paces Cavs

The No. 1 Virginia baseball team matched a season-high seven-game win streak yesterday night with a 10-5 victory against Georgetown at Davenport Field.

After trailing 1-0 entering the bottom half of the second inning, the Cavaliers (36-9) scored 10 straight runs through the fifth inning, with two or more runs coming in each frame. Junior left fielder Phil Gosselin led the way for Virginia with his third-career four-hit game. He stroked a two-RBI double during the fourth as part of a three-RBI night.

Freshman first baseman Reed Gragnani and junior right fielder Dave Coleman each had two hits for the Cavaliers, who posted 13 on the game. Sophomore pitcher Justin Thompson earned the win after tossing 3.1 innings of two-hit baseball in relief of freshman Whit Mayberry, who only lasted 1.2 innings and surrendered three hits, two walks and a run.

The Hoyas (19-22) tacked on three runs during the top of the seventh when sophomore Will Roberts gave up a three-run home run to junior infielder Sean Lamont.

Roberts rebounded, however, and completed the victory along with redshirt freshman Chad O'Connor with three innings of solid relief.

Virginia now will head to Durham, N.C. to take on Duke for a three-game series this weekend.

-compiled by Andrew Seidman