Jackets

Virginia softball fell victim to No. 10 Georgia Tech during a three-game sweep last weekend.

The Yellow Jackets (35-6,11-1 ACC) diffused a red-hot Virginia squad, handing the Cavaliers (23-17, 7-4 ACC) their first ACC series loss on the season.

Georgia Tech's freshman pitcher Hope Rush led the Yellow Jackets to a 5-2 win in the first game. Pitching a complete game, Rush allowed just two Virginia hits, while also delivering a hit and RBI at the plate. Georgia Tech's junior first basemen Kristine Priebe broke a scoreless tie during the fifth with a two-RBI double. Cavalier freshman second baseman Alex Skinkis knocked in two runs in the top of the sixth, but the Yellow Jackets responded during the bottom half of the inning with a pair of runs, including a solo shot off the bat of redshirt senior second baseman Jen Yee. Freshman pitcher Melanie Mitchell took the loss for Virginia after working 5.2 innings and fanning seven.

In the second game, the Cavaliers carried a one-run lead into the final inning, only to lose a heartbreaker. Junior first basemen Lauren McCaskey and senior pitcher Nicole Koren each contributed RBIs in the sixth inning, giving Virginia a 3-2 lead with one frame to go. In the bottom of the seventh, however, Yee blasted a solo home run to tie the game. Two batters later, Priebe hit a crushing two-run walk-off bomb that gave Georgia Tech a 5-3 victory.

Having already taken two close games, Georgia Tech routed Virginia 8-0 in the third matchup. After devastating the Cavaliers with her walk-off homer the day before, Priebe struck again with a two-run blast during the first inning. Sophomore catcher Kate Kuzma added a three-run homer in the second, knocking Mitchell out of the game. Yellow Jacket sophomore pitcher Jessica Coan dazzled in five shutout innings, allowing just two hits.

Virginia will look to regroup from this setback on the road for a doubleheader at Hampton tomorrow.

-compiled by Ashley Robertson