Mountainside shootings lead to search

Two people were shot at the Rock Point Overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway west of Charlottesville around 7:30 p.m. Monday, according to an Augusta County Sheriff's Office press release.\nThe two victims are a white female, age 18, from Palmyra, Va., and a white male, age 27, from Charlottesville.

The female victim is in stable condition at the University Medical Center, while the male victim is in serious condition, the release stated.

Both were shot in "upper areas of their bodies" while sitting in a green Honda watching the sunset, the release stated. The male fell 150 feet off the overlook after the perpetrator, who remains at large, shot him.

Police officers described the suspected shooter as a white male, of medium build with gray thinning hair. The man, the release said, is armed with a shotgun and is considered dangerous. Law enforcement officials believe he is driving "a red or maroon passenger car, possibly a Ford Taurus," according to the press release.

The investigation is being conducted by the FBI, the National Park Service, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms, the Virginia State Police and the Augusta County Sheriff's Office.\nNational Park Service spokesperson Karen Beck-Herzog said the Park Service has closed the Blue Ridge Parkway from mileposts 4 to 13 as the search continues.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Central Shenandoah Crime Stoppers at (800) 332-2017 or the Augusta County Sheriff's Office at (540 245-5333.

-compiled by Virginia Terwilliger