Office of Diversity and Equity names award in Casteen

Office creates John T. Casteen, III, Diversity-Equity-Inclusion Leadership Award to honor outgoing president, University student leaders

The Office of Diversity and Equity honored University President John T. Casteen, III at its Spring Conference of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion by naming the new John T. Casteen, III, Diversity-Equity-Inclusion Leadership Award in his honor.

Marcus Martin, interim vice-president and chief officer for diversity and equity, also presented the award to Casteen, honoring his long-time commitment to diversity.

"In essence, President Casteen embodies the criteria that was established for the award." Martin said.

The process for naming the award was led by a 10-person ad-hoc committee that decided on the name. Martin explained that after a list of roughly 10 names surfaced, the committee narrowed in on the outgoing president, citing his outstanding commitment to diversity during his tenure.

Martin said Casteen has spent time traveling Virginia and encouraging children of minority students to apply to the University. In addition, Casteen was instrumental in establishing AccessUVa, he said, "which has helped to diversify the University in socioeconomic terms."

Martin also said future recipients of the award must be current University students, faculty or staff members, who have demonstrated a commitment and passion for diversity and have served as leaders in achieving a sustainable and quantifiable impact on the University.

Casteen said he was pleasantly surprised to receive the award gives the University an opportunity to recognize service that can often be "lonely and long-term."

"Change almost always comes more slowly than we want at any given time," Casteen said, "but we are learning that persons who live their principles really can foster powerful change"