Virginia faces sliding Terps in weekend series

After successful midweek wins, Cavs hope to continue momentum

The No. 2 Cavaliers head to College Park to square off against a reeling Maryland squad, which enters the series after a midweek loss to Towson and a weekend sweep against N.C. State.

The Terrapins (15-25, 4-14 ACC) are still in search of their first conference series win on the year, while the Cavaliers (31-9, 12-6 ACC) enter the contest having won five of six series against ACC foes.

Currently rebuilding with first-year coach Erik Bakich, Maryland bats an ACC-worst .259 and possesses a 6.26 team ERA.

The Terrapins, however, have managed to notch wins against ranked conference opponents Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech, and, known for their ability to manufacture runs, have tallied an ACC-leading 45 sacrifice bunts and 87 stolen bases heading into this weekend.

"Maryland's a tough squad. They'll battle all nine innings of every game. [We'll] have to get after it. We can't let up. We can't give up an inch because they'll take a mile," junior center fielder Jarrett Parker said.

The Cavaliers enter the contest after rolling through midweek opponents Richmond, 11-3, and George Mason, 10-3. Parker and freshman infielder Reed Gragnani shined in the victories, going 2-for-4 with four walks and 3-for-5 with three RBIs, respectively.

"[Our] pitchers did a great job, and our hitters came together in all facets; [the two midweek games] were good wins," Parker said.

Virginia hopes to extend its momentum to this weekend's series before postseason play begins.

"We have another big ACC week coming up at Maryland. We just need to go up there and battle those guys every pitch, every out, and if we do, I think we'll like the results," Virginia coach Brian O'Connor said.

Because of forecasted rain in the College Park area Saturday and Sunday, the Cavaliers will play two games today and the series finale Saturday. The first game of the series begins at 3 p.m. this afternoon at Shipley Field.