Let

It goes without question that Saturday's thorough butt-kicking of Virginia Military Institute was utterly meaningless. A battle with the Keydets prepared the Cavaliers for their grueling ACC schedule about as well as a backyard game of two-hand-touch with the neighbors' kids would have, assuming the neighbors' kids are little and have poor hand-eye coordination. In fact, this game didn't even really count at all. An FBS team can only factor one win against an FCS opponent toward its bowl eligibility, something Virginia already checked off its list with its 34-13 season-opening victory against Richmond.

Yet the contest's insignificance did nothing to deter a sneaking hunch that has been budding inside me. During a year when the ACC's identity as a crapshoot conference appears stronger than ever, could Virginia challenge Virginia Tech for the Coastal Division crown? The answer is yes.

Before you toss this newspaper in the garbage and cast me as a delusional moron, let me first assure you that I passed all my Standards of Learning tests and that several doctors have confirmed that my brain is at least functional. That being said, I still think the 2010 Virginia football team - the same squad thrown into the murky cellar of the preseason ACC standings in August - has the potential to make a run at a conference title this year. I am not saying the team will do so; I am merely saying it has a chance.

At the season's outset, the ever-omniscient band of ACC reporters and analysts provided a lengthy laundry list of reasons for the Cavaliers' 2010 status as the scum of the conference. With three games in the record books and the start of conference play looming, it's time to break down the validity of such a list.

Pundit: They've only got one quarterback with any game experience, and he stinks!

Me: Yes, senior quarterback Marc Verica came into the season with little fanfare, having thrown more than twice as many interceptions as touchdowns. But the Verica of old has yet to make an appearance this year. He's stepping into his throws, making the right reads and looking more poised than ever. He currently has five touchdown passes compared to just one interception and is averaging 232 yards passing per game. Such gaudy numbers have come mostly at the hands of lesser opponents, but you can still tell he is a much more composed, focused signal-caller than he used to be.

Pundit: Their top-four rushers from last season are all gone, and they still don't know who their starting tailback is going to be. They've got no running game!

Me: The ground game appears to be Mike London's best-kept secret this year. At ACC Media Days in late July, he left reporters labeling Virginia's rushing attack a big fat question mark, as he wasn't even able to offer an indication of who would emerge as the team's featured back. As it turns out, this team actually has a very respectable one-two punch in the backfield this year. Sophomore Perry Jones uses speed and quickness to outrun opponents, and it always seems to take at least two or three guys to bring down the big man, 6-foot-3, 255-pound senior Keith Payne. The tandem has five touchdowns between them, and each player is averaging more than five yards per carry. A respectable running game opens up the passing game, and the Cavaliers so far have been able to reap the benefits of an offense that runs largely on play-action passing. No more spread offense this year - Virginia currently ranks third in the ACC in total offense.

Pundit: Same thing with the receivers! Junior Kris Burd is their leading returning wideout, and he only racked up 413 yards last year!

Me: It's obvious that Virginia's receivers have readily embraced the new offense. In fact, they haven't been shy about telling reporters that they much prefer it to last year's spread offense, which inspired more confusion than confidence. Burd - who has already totaled 260 yards and three touchdowns this year - continues to build himself up as a reliable go-to receiver, and senior Dontrelle Inman has emerged from the shadows, racking up 15 catches and two touchdowns of his own. Meanwhile, senior tight end Joe Torchia - who had five catches for 73 yards against USC - has gladly accepted the re-implementation of the tight end into the offense. Speedy sophomore Tim Smith might be out for the season, but the guys behind him look capable enough. Anyone who saw junior Matt Snyder's eye-opening catch down the right sideline in the second half of Saturday's game can attest to that.

Pundit: Their defense looks pretty good, I guess, but apart from Dowling, I don't see a lot of talent.

Me: Senior cornerback Ras-I Dowling received a lot of attention coming into the season, but a hamstring injury sidelined him for the first two games. Even without him and starting safety Rodney McLeod, though, the Virginia defense performed with fire and passion, limiting a high-octane USC offense to just 17 points. As far as talent goes, see Chase Minnifield. The junior cornerback - who already has three interceptions - has been all over the field during these first three games, making play after spectacular play. Junior Cam Johnson and sophomore LaRoy Reynolds have also been impressive in leading a defense that has placed a greater focus on tackling this year. With Dowling and McLeod back in the mix, this defense should only get better.

Now let's take a look at Virginia's remaining schedule. First up is Florida State at noon this Saturday. The Seminoles are coming into this game riding a 31-0 trouncing of Wake Forest, but they are also coming into a "whiteout." A sea of white in a sold-out crowd promises to be an intriguing change of pace for Scott Stadium, and it just might give the Cavaliers an extra boost against a very worthy opponent. If Virginia can find a way to put pressure on quarterback Christian Ponder, it will have a chance to pull off an upset that would give them a ton of momentum going into the Georgia Tech game.

Speaking of the Georgia Tech game, the Cavaliers might well avenge last season's 34-9 defeat at the hands of the Ramblin' Wreck, who suffered a 28-25 loss to bottom-of-the-Big12-barrell Kansas and whose vaunted Al Groh-led defense gave up 45 points to N.C. State last weekend.\nGames against North Carolina and Miami will be tough, but at least they're at home. Our equestrian team could beat Eastern Michigan. We own Maryland. Duke is back to being Duke. Boston College can't find a serviceable quarterback. And with Al Groh gone and Virginia Tech looking especially vulnerable in Lane Stadium this year, maybe, just maybe, this is the year we beat the Hokies.

Am I saying Virginia will finish 10-1? Certainly not. I'm just saying we won't finish 3-9. Many have labeled this a rebuilding year, but London has more talent on his hands than we thought. It's a real stretch to make any bold predictions when this team has yet to defeat a FBS opponent, but in a conference that always fails to meet expectations, I think Virginia will rise above them.

Pundit: Hey, Nick. Presumptuous much?

Me: Maybe just a little.