Parisian metro serves as alternative energy source

What: Human body heat generated from commuters waiting underground for the metro will warm an environmentally friendly public housing project located in the center of Paris. Drawing on geothermal technology, the project is designed to shift heat from passengers and train tracks through a stairwell that leads from the metro to heat exchangers in the building. The heat exchangers push the warm air into pipes that circulate the air.

Who: Francois Wachnick, owner of Paris Habitat, France's largest public housing agency, intends for the new heating system to complement the building's conventional district heating. This sustainable housing project will cut carbon dioxide emissions by one-third and benefit building residents.

The Future: By the end of the year, 17 flats will be heated. Although such technologies are also being implemented in Austria, there are no plans to employ the system throughout Paris. The need to carve out passageways to bring heat from the metro to buildings - along with the expenses - make this heating system unwieldy to implement widely. Work will continue next year.

-compiled by Jennifer Tran