Second-half showings lead to weekend wins

MVP Farrelly heads offensive attack as Virginia takes fourth straight game

It was all Cavaliers, all the time at the Virginia Nike Soccer Classic in Charlottesville this weekend. The Virginia women's soccer team defeated Texas and Boston University with a combined score of 7-0.

Against the Longhorns, the Cavaliers took four shots during the first half, their lowest half-total on the season. But once senior midfielder Sinead Farrelly buried a shot inside the near post only six minutes into the second half, the Cavaliers took 13 shots for the half while the Longhorns only managed one. And with goals by sophomore midfielders Caroline Miller, Julia Roberts and Kate Norbo, Virginia wound up defeating Texas 4-0.

Sunday play against the Terriers yielded another shutout win. It took 17 shots for Virginia to get on the board early in the second half with another Farrelly goal during the 55th minute on a rebound off her own shot. The Cavaliers struck again after Miller faked out a Terrier defender to place the ball top left out of reach of the goalkeeper and double the Cavaliers' advantage. Farrelly struck again during the 73rd minute, bodying a Boston defender and chipping it over the keeper to the far post off a pass from Norbo. It was Farrelly's sixth goal on the season.

"We were a little iffy in the first halves of both games but we finished it in the second half of both games," Farrelly said. "I thought we did really good if we keep scoring, then I think teams are going to be scared of us no matter what so."

The coaches saw different strengths in the weekend's performance.

"I think the last two games really our depth have shown through, because we've kind of wore teams down and then managed to take advantage in the second half when maybe the shape's not as good, maybe the energy's not as good," Virginia coach Steve Swanson said. "It's been a kind of a good formula for us this weekend."

But that does not mean the squad cannot improve in regards to other aspects of its play. Although junior Chantel Jones did not give up a goal, a defensive miscommunication led to a series of three chances for Boston in the middle of the first half. Moreover, the Cavaliers' 17 shots before putting one into the net indicates a failure to capitalize on some offensive chances as well.

"I think there's just little things that we need to be sharper on, especially in the back," Swanson said. "I thought we were a little slow in solving their pressure today, but overall it's a good weekend for us ... got some good performances and some very good goals."

If anything, the coaches attribute the weakness to a lack of preparation rather than lack of skill.

"The way our season is with just the two weeks of preseason, it's just not enough time to prepare fully," Swanson said. "I think we're still gathering ourselves, still organizing a little bit, still clarifying roles and things like that. But I think the one thing's for sure, I think we have a lot of strong players throughout our team, and I think that depth is probably that thing that shows the most."

The Cavaliers now have a week to improve from the weekend's mistakes before finishing non-conference play during a trip to Morgantown, W.Va., to play the Moutaineers Sunday. The players hope momentum will carry them into conference play.

"We're undefeated right now in our out-of-conference schedule," Farrelly said. "So we're trying to take West Virginia as a win, then go into the ACC undefeated and just confident"