Latino students march for DREAM Act

Latino Student Alliance asks Student Council to back movement to push University to support legislation

The Latino Student Alliance held a silent march to the Rotunda in support of the Dare to DREAM Campaign, a student initiative that aims to obtain the University's official endorsement for the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act, which would provide a path to citizenship for undocumented minors.

The march began at Scott Stadium and proceeded down McCormick Road to the steps of the Rotunda. About 40 people participated in the march, External Communications Chair Danny Navarro said. The participants of the silent march wore black and white bands on their arms to symbolize unity and peace.

"This campaign is focused on engaging the student community with Student Council support tomorrow evening, to gain university endorsement and student support," Navarro said.

Student Council will debate and vote on a bill tomorrow night that would back the movement to push for the University's support for the DREAM Act, Director of University Relations Dan Morrison said. If passed, the bill will go on to the University's administration and Board of Visitors.

"I think that Danny Navarro had a positive impact on informing everybody and his and the LSA's outreach will translate into results tomorrow night," Morrison said.

Members of LSA plan to attend tomorrow night's meeting.

"We hope to have a lot of people show up from our organization to support it," said Alexa Proffitt, a third-year College student and member of LSA. "It would be very impactful for people who already go to U.Va and those who want to go in the future."

The University is just one of many institutions that has seen students rallying for the DREAM Act recently. It is uncertain, however, whether Congress will have time to vote on the issue as it begins its lame-duck session.