Team splits ACC home matches

Maryland sweeps Virginia as O

The Virginia volleyball team wrapped up its home schedule Saturday, sweeping Boston College on Senior Night after losing Friday to Maryland.

Saturday night's match marked the final home game for Virginia's seniors: defensive specialist A.J. Cushman, middle hitter Sydney Hill and right-side hitter Kendahl Voelker. The seniors were honored before the victory against the Eagles.

"I'm really proud of the three fourth-years that we have who have been wonderful representatives of our program," Virginia coach Lee Maes said. "They've been outstanding individuals in terms of being the role models we want for our younger athletes, and at the same time, I respect who they are as people."

Saturday night's win improved the seniors' record at Memorial Gymnasium to 33-22. Still, with five home matches remaining this month, the Cavaliers' season is far from complete.

"We still have five matches so it's a little anti-climatic; it's like we're done here, but we still have a lot of work to do on the road," Hill said.

The Cavaliers' final home match was relatively easy, as Virginia (13-12, 7-8 ACC) won with set scores of 25-17, 25-19 and 25-15. The match began with Virginia gaining an easy 10-2 lead and forcing Boston College into calling a timeout. Six straight serves from junior outside hitter Simone Asque increased the lead to 21-3. After several subs by Virginia, the lead narrowed, with the Eagles coming within six points until the Cavaliers took control to win, 25-17.

Virginia came out strong in the second set as well. Boston College remained close, but the Cavaliers closed out the Eagles, 25-19. A brief intermission provided the Eagles with a chance to collective themselves, however, and the third set saw nine ties and three lead changes during the first 13 points. Virginia gained a 14-13 advantage and only gave up two more points before winning, 25-15.

Virginia was led offensively by freshman outside hitter McKenzie Adams with 13 kills, followed by Asque with 10. Redshirt sophomore setter Beth Wildermuth tallied her sixth career double-double with 36 assists and 10 digs.

Meanwhile, Cushman anchored the defense with 13 digs. Hill manned the front line, leading the team with four blocks.

The win followed a disappointing Friday night loss, during which the Cavaliers were swept by Maryland, a team they had defeated a month ago.

After a close start to the first set, Maryland went out to a lead 16-13 lead. Virginia got it within four before the Terps scored five of the final six points to claim the first frame, 25-17. Maryland cruised to a second set victory after a 7-1 advantage and subsequently finished off the Cavaliers in the set, 25-13.

During the third set, Virginia was unable to overcome the Terps' momentum, falling 25-17.

"We came out and didn't show the level of aggressiveness and the level of intensity to match Maryland's drive," Maes said. "They just looked intensely focused on every single play, and they made a lot of positive plays while we struggled to find any kind of rhythm to our game."

Virginia did not boast any players in double-figure kills, as O'Shoney - the team leader - managed nine. Wildermuth commanded the offense with 25 assists, and Cushman yet again carried the defensive load with 20 digs.

"I guess I'm chalking it up to it being an aberration of one match; we were trying to overcome some distractions earlier in the week, but we didn't get it done," Maes said.

The team begins the final five-game stint on the road next weekend, traveling to Clemson Friday night before taking on Georgia Tech Sunday afternoon.