A weekend road trip

I don't think this is on the list of 111 things to do before you graduate, but it should be, so I will add it here. Number 112: Take a weekend road trip.

This past weekend, that's exactly what I decided to do. Some of my friends have gone to Virginia Tech or JMU for the weekend, but I never really considered doing that. I love my weekends at the University, and I don't have that many friends at other Virginia schools. But Friday, an idea popped into my head and took hold of me. A road trip to North Carolina. Why, you ask?

First, the U.S. Figure Skating Championships were taking place in Greensboro, N.C. In the same way football fans won't miss the Super Bowl, ice skaters like me won't miss Nationals. You may wonder why I didn't just watch it on TV, as I have done every year since I was three, and save $77.33 for the ticket plus $50 for gas. Apart from the fact that everything is better live, a friend I skated with throughout high school was competing. And how often will you get the chance to cheer on someone you know at a national competition?

Second, I have always wanted to visit a different high school friend at Duke. Ever since she visited me here last year, I had wanted to reciprocate. In addition, I had never visited Duke before, and the skating competition was set to last until 11:00 p.m., so having a nearby place to crash was helpful.

With these things in mind, I took action. To give you a timeline, at 12:00 p.m. Friday I conceived the idea as I was procrastinating in the library - proof that sometimes good things come out of procrastination. At 12:04 p.m., I texted an invitation to my sister and sent an e-mail to my mother, letting her know where her daughter might be the next day. At 7:15 p.m., I purchased the tickets. At 3:15 p.m. Saturday, I was off to North Carolina.

I will list only the highlights of the trip to give you a sense of the endless possibilities. I know your road trip will be far different, but it could be equally exciting.

First, you must understand that skating-fan etiquette is very refined. Whereas you will hoot and holler if your Super Bowl team scores a touchdown, you only will clap daintily if a skater lands a jump or amazes you with a spin. You may hoot and holler, however, at the end of a program, which is exactly what I did for my friend. When I met up with her after she skated, I realized how much it meant to her to have a friend cheering her on in the crowd.

Second, I thought "Serendipity" was just the title of a cheesy movie, but apparently it happens in real life as well. Although I didn't end up meeting my long lost soulmate, I did have a serendipitous encounter with one of my idols. I met 2002 Olympic gold medalist Sarah Hughes while I was trying to find the exit to the parking lot. I even have a photograph with her to prove it.

Third, I got a personal tour of Durham. I understood what being a true basketball fan means when I passed by the line of colorful tents and learned the tenting rules of Krzyzewskiville, where people camp out to get a ticket to the Duke-UNC basketball game. I also appreciated the gothic architecture of West Campus, a stark contrast to the University's brick buildings.

As much as I love the University, I now realize the value of escaping for a weekend to experience something new.

Sheila's column runs biweekly Fridays. She can be reached at s.bushman@cavalierdaily.com.