Board examines expansion plans

Governing body discusses McDonnell

The members of the Board of Visitors met yesterday to discuss the expansion of both the student body and academic programs at the University through legislative support from the state government.

In the preliminary Board of Visitors meeting, President Teresa A. Sullivan, Rector John O. Wynne and the Board considered Gov. Bob McDonnell's Virginia Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2011, which was announced in January. The bill strives to create a roadmap for issuing 100,000 additional degrees during the next 15 years. McDonnell will focus on developing regional strategies and partnerships for research and economic development, implementing innovation and cost containment, and increasing financial aid and workforce training.

The bill specifically suggests expediting degrees and boosting undergraduate degrees in science and technology where skill shortages exist or are predicted.

The current legislative session closes Feb. 26, but the bill is backed by bipartisan support. If passed, McDonnell would appropriate $50 million in funding.

"We're fortunate the governor and the legislature are supportive," Sullivan said, noting that the University and the governor have identified the same areas of need.

"If the state wants excellence, we all have to understand what that means, so this work is critically important," Wynne added.

Amid discussion of boosting degrees and expanding programs, Wynne noted the state is committed to funding those new students. "The template is there," he said.\nConsidering the possibility of the bill's passage with caution, Wynne made clear his opposition to any change in the student-to-faculty ratio, saying the Board would not allow it increase.

Overall Wynne believes building blocks are being placed to sustain a relationship with the state government. "For the first time in 20 years, both the governor and legislature are ... dedicated to higher education"