Hot temperatures, hotter music

Summer festivals host diverse lineups ranging from indie darlings to big name headliners

The arrival of sunny days and balmy temperatures in Charlottesville finds students taking their shorts and flip-flops out of storage and heading to the Corner with sunglasses in hand, optimistically hoping that winter is gone for good. With spring fast approaching, everyone's attention has turned to the outdoors and making plans for the upcoming summer break. Fortunately for fans of warm weather and hot bands, summer also marks the beginning of the outdoor music festival season, and this year's offerings are looking better than ever.

For those looking to stay in the Charlottesville area this summer, the Elysian Fields and All Good music festivals are solid bets. Elysian Fields, held in Boyce, Va., will take place from August 5-7. The headliners have not been announced as of press time, but Virginian bands such as bluegrass flatpickers Larry Keel and Natural Bridge and blues rock band People's Blues of Richmond already have begun to fill out the set list. No matter which bands perform, the low-key and funky nature of this festival is always sure to please. In Masontown, W.Va., the All Good music festival will be held from July 14-17, showcasing such artists as Pretty Lights and jam-band favorites moe, Umphrey's McGee and Keller Williams.

For those ready to make a road trip, however, then Ultra Music Festival, Jazz Fest and the classic Bonnaroo offer up a promising variety of music. Taking place from March 25-27 in downtown Miami, Ultra is an electronic music festival guaranteed to make even the most conservative attendee whip his hair back and forth to some serious dub-step. The lineup includes techno favorites Deadmau5, Benny Benassi and the Chemical Brothers. Two states over in Louisiana, Jazz Fest is a long-running tradition that always hosts a wide array of talent during the course of two weekends in New Orleans. April 29-May 1 and May 5-8, the Big Easy will host acts such as The Strokes, The Avett Brothers and Lupe Fiasco. And then there is Bonnaroo, the quintessential summer music festival, which is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year in Manchester, Tenn. from June 9-12. Occasionally criticized as commercial and overpriced, Bonnaroo still remains one of the few places where you can see an epic lineup of mainstream headliners and indie up-and-comers - where else can you find Eminem, Arcade Fire and Bassnectar all in the same place?

Let's not forget about our friends on the West Coast. Coachella, held April 15-17 in Indio, Calif., always attracts an interesting blend of hipsters and Hollywood A-Listers seeking a weekend of music and eclecticism away from the hustle and bustle of nearby Los Angeles. The lineup consists of a solid mixture of multi-hit artists and underground acts, ranging from Kanye West and Wiz Khalifa to The Black Keys and Mumford & Sons. Just to the north is George, Wash, the beautiful and naturalistic site of the Sasquatch Music Festival. Hosting such artists as Modest Mouse, Wilco, and Death Cab For Cutie during the weekend of May 27-30, this festival provides a lineup full of alternative favorites perfect for jamming out on a beautiful summer's day.

Whether in Virginia or California, blasting contagious techno or chilling out to laid-back indie tracks, this summer's festivals have something to make every student want to get up and dance.