Regan to depart basketball team

Less than three months after freshman guard Billy Baron transferred to Rhode Island, Virginia men's basketball coach Tony Bennett has lost a second member of his seven-man 2010-11 freshman class.

Bennett announced yesterday that freshman forward Will Regan is leaving the program upon completing the spring semester. Regan tallied a total of 25 points and 18 rebounds while playing in 20 of the Cavaliers' 31 games during the 2010-11 season, and he was named to the 2011 All-Atlantic Coast Conference Academic Men's Basketball Team. The Williamsville, N.Y. native and 2010 New York State Class A Player of the Year averaged just 6.6 minutes per game - the second-lowest total on the team - and did not leave the bench during Virginia's final five games after playing three minutes during a 61-54 victory against Virginia Tech Feb. 19. Regan reportedly told Bennett that he plans to transfer to a program offering closer proximity to home and an improved playing situation.

Regan becomes the fourth Virginia player to transfer from Virginia during Bennett's two-year tenure, joining former Cavaliers Baron, Tristan Spurlock and Jeff Jones.

-compiled by Matt Welsh