Food trucks aim for convenience

University Dining Services launches year-long trial, hopes alternative vendors will reduce traffic in Newcomb

University Dining began a year-long trial last Thursday with the opening of six food trucks along the Amphitheater sidewalk. These vendors serve as an alternative to eating in Newcomb Dining Hall, which will be undergoing construction throughout the school year.

The food trucks give more options and flexibility to students' meal plans and schedules, University Executive Chef Bryan Kelly said.

"We couldn't pass up the chance to create a trendy dining destination for the on-the-go student!" University Dining Marketing Manager Nicole Jackson said in an email.

Every weekday from 11 p.m. to 2 p.m, the trucks offer a variety of meal options ranging in price from $5 to $7.

Ka-Pow serves quesadilla and noodle bowls, while Steak Me Home Tonight offers cheeseburgers and cheese steaks. Both are managed directly by Dining.

Last Call Dogs, Nacho Panda, Got Dumplings? and Carpe Donuts, independent local vendors, were brought to Grounds because their menus appeal to students, Kelly said. "Vendors were more than happy to come because it gives them exposure," he added.

The goal of providing a "Street Eats fleet" - as Jackson dubbed it - brought more meal options on Grounds but at the price of convenience for third-year Commerce student Madelyn Peery, who acknowledged that costs at Got Dumplings? were higher than the dumplings sold on the Corner.

First-year College student John Kenneth Nolan expressed different sentiments about the prices. "The prices are good, comparable to that of other dining places," he said. "I know the dumpling place on the Corner is cheaper, but I don't think they are as good, and they aren't as convenient."

Fourth-year College student Jessy Shelton added, "Some of the trucks are things you normally can only get at the Downtown Mall, and now they are so close, which is nice."

Although Jackson said it is too early to measure success, one day after opening, the vendors were "swamped," said Richard Hawkins, a supervisor at Steak Me Home Tonight. "Business picked up," Hawkins said. "Word must have gotten out."

Dining will also be running two breakfast food trucks at Fontaine Research Park and Carruthers Hall for employees, and the vendors will cater special events and concessions throughout the year. The number and types of food vendors will be re-evaluated by Dining at the end of the year-long trial period.