Grant supports dam project

Higher Education Partnership program awards $35,000 for undergraduate research

The University received a $35,000 grant earlier this month from the Dominion Foundation, the community-focused branch of Dominion Resources, to pursue undergraduate research measuring the environmental and engineering impact of the removal of small dams. The project aims to provide students with analytical skills and experience in field research on river systems.

The Dominion Foundation has awarded grants totaling $530,000 to 16 Virginia colleges and universities, including the University, as part of its Higher Educational Partnernship program, which supports higher education in accordance with its workforce needs. In total, the Dominion Foundation awarded $1 million to 34 colleges and universities throughout seven states.

"It was a competitive process, and we received $7 million in requests," Dominion Foundation Philanthropy Manager Cindy Balderson said, noting the foundation had $1 million to award. "We considered things like sustainability and creativity, and we were really trying to look at meaningful learning opportunities available for students."

Asst. Environmental Sciences Prof. Matthew Reidenbach co-investigated the grant with Asst. Engineering Prof. Joanna Curran.

"The project aims to examine dam removal and how that removal changes sediment characteristics in rivers," Reidenbach said. "When you remove a dam, the fine material released down stream gets onto the streambed and results in bed armoring. The project we got funded for was to look at how that armoring occurs."

Curran said the grant will be used to purchase the equipment necessary to conduct the studies, to fund travel to field sites around Virginia and to bring nationally renowned researchers to meet the students.

"We were looking for real world learning opportunities, and the grant at U.Va. for the dam removal was really creative, something the students would benefit from, enjoy and remember," Balderson said.

"I am thrilled, and hope that this is only the beginning," Curran said.