A warning sign at Zeta Psi

Fraternity presidents respond to University

When a first-year student pledging Zeta Psi fraternity was hospitalized last March, fraternity presidents were dismayed but not surprised. Considering that Zeta Psi was one of the oldest fraternities on Grounds, its peers were aware that the fraternity might have been practicing potentially dangerous traditions.

The incident, according to interviews with nine fraternity presidents and brothers from two additional fraternities, revealed the perils of passing down traditions without concern for fraternity members' safety.

Of the 17 remaining fraternities, 10 presidents declined to comment and seven could not be reached. Cavalier Daily reporters attempted to contact each fraternity president via email and by knocking on their fraternity house doors. Members of what was formerly Zeta Psi declined to comment for this story.

The consensus among the presidents who did agree to be interviewed was that the closing of Zeta Psi's chapter in late June was an appropriate punishment. After consuming a bottle of soy sauce, court documents show, the pledge was treated for an electrolyte imbalance at Martha Jefferson Hopsital - at the time located directly northeast of the Downtown Mall, 1.4 miles farther from the Zeta Psi fraternity house than the University Medical Center. He was later transferred to the University Medial Center and was released after four days.

Allen Groves, associate vice president and dean of students, explained that in responding to the situation he looked at two criteria: whether or not the reckless conduct put someone's health and safety at risk, and whether or not the incident was a rogue event or part of a consistent pattern of behavior that involved more than one or two people.

"After reviewing the investigative file from [the University Police Department],