The Cavalier Daily
Serving the University Community Since 1890

Sara Guaglione

City, County to share dam cost

The Rivanna Water and Sewer Authority approved an agreement between the City of Charlottesville and Albemarle County yesterday to share the cost of a new dam aimed at increasing the size of the Ragged Mountain Reservoir. The City will pay 15 percent of the cost of the dam, while the county will be responsible for the remaining 85 percent. The project will cost $21.5 million and will be funded by both the City and County through water utility bills, RWSA Executive Director Tom Frederick said in an email. Thalle Construction Company of Hillsborough, N.C.

Study assesses graduation rates

[caption id="attachment_48642" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="The national averages, above, show that students of the Class of 2008 had a graduation rate of 38.9 percent for four years and 61.2 percent for six years.

Study analyzes student habits

[caption id="attachment_48481" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="Engineering majors study 19 hours per week on average, according to a study released yesterday by the National Survey of Student Engagement.

SCHEV pushes for financial incentives

The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia released recommendations to the state Monday, asking for financial incentives for public colleges and universities to increase enrollment. The council made these recommendations in accordance with the state's Higher Education Opportunity Act, which was passed earlier this year and aims to increase degree production by 100,000 throughout the next 15 years. The act established the Higher Education Advisory Committee to review current policies on higher education and make recommendations to the council, which then makes recommendations to Gov.

Curry announces new program

[caption id="attachment_47509" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="Incoming students will now be able to apply directly into the Education School's program rather than waiting until their second year.

Journalist discusses corruption in India

Narayan Lakshman, Washington correspondent for The Hindu, India's largest English-language daily newspapers, spoke at the University yesterday about corruption in India and the role of newspapers in politics today. In his lecture, titled "Corruption, Poverty, and Political Power: The Great Democratic Game," Lakshman described corruption in India as both rampant and "necessary to lubricate the wheels of development." He said the central causes of this corruption is the changing balance of power between agrarian masses and the ruling elite. "Indians are very familiar with corruption," Lakshman said.

"Like many scholars and practicing writers who also teach," writes Lisa Russ Spaar, "I do so because I loved being a student and am grateful for the ways in which teaching invites a lifetime practice of intellectual, creative rigor and (re) visiting texts in fresh ways." Described by colleague Michael Levenson as a "teaching legend," Spaar is praised by students for giving them "new ways to think about poetry and the recurring themes of love, death, truth, beauty, God and time."

A former student writes, "She expected us to move fluidly between critical and writerly lenses. In this way, Professor Spaar not only supported my developing sensibility as a writer, but also as a young scholar." English department chairman Jahan Ramazani summarizes: "Lisa Russ Spaar is a stunning teacher, one of the very best at the University and quite possibly anywhere in the country."


Lisa Spaar wins poetry prize

[caption id="attachment_47125" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="Lisa Russ Spaar received $10,000 Saturday for her contribution to contemporary poetry.

More articles »