BOV approves changes to standards

The Board of Visitors unanimously approved the University Judiciary Committee's proposed revisions to its Standards of Conduct yesterday, redefining sexual misconduct and expanding the jurisdiction of UJC policy.

The approved revisions are to Standard I, the first of which replaces "sexual assault" with "sexual misconduct" in alignment with the University's Policy and Procedures for Student Sexual Misconduct Complaints.

The University adopted the policy under federal mandate in July. Although the UJC unanimously voted in favor of the revision Sept. 4, only the Board has the power to change the Standards of Conduct.

The former phraseology of "physical or sexual assault" referred to cases of "unwanted touching," UJC Chair Victoria Marchetti said. The revised Standard I now applies to sexual misconduct in "any form without effective consent, [extending to] rape, sexual harassment [and] sexual exploitation," she said.

In accordance with the revision, UJC charges can be brought against any University student no matter where the crime is perpetrated.

"The accused student is returning to our community no matter where it occurs," said Susan Davis, assistant vice president for student affairs.

Pat Lampkin, vice president and chief student affairs officer, described safety as having the utmost importance in the student experience.

"Safety is the base of the triangle of leadership, involvement, and safety," she said.

President Teresa A. Sullivan also noted the importance of expanding UJC's jurisdiction to include cyber stalking. "Actual physical jurisdiction is not as important as access to the Internet," she said.\nRector Helen Dragas reminded the Board's that members had little choice in the matter considering the University had adopted the same policy following Title IX as a result of the Dear Colleague letter.

"UJC is aligning with what is in place with the University," Board member Alan Diamonstein said.

-compiled by Audrey Waldrop