H.R. hosts wellness fair

Department kicks off Hoo

University Human Resources hosted the department's first-ever Hoo's Well@ fair Monday morning in the John Paul Jones Arena, offering University employees and their spouses the chance to receive biometric screenings, flu shots and other health services under the newly developed wellness program on Grounds.

Nearly 400 people participated in the screenings and visited vendors, said Anne Broccoli, director of the Benefits and Leave Center for Human Resources.

"This fair was important in order to get information out and raise awareness about the program," Broccoli said. "The energy and engagement [we felt] was great ... people really want to get involved in this".

The new program, which launched Sept. 12, is provided to University employees who receive University Insurance services through Aetna. It attempts to build a culture of comprehensive wellness as opposed to purely physical health, Wellness Coordinator Shana Pack-Gangluff said. The program combines fitness with nutrition and abstinence from damaging substances like tobacco.

"[Participants] help themselves and help others by achieving a better work-life balance," she said. "The costs of the health plan are better controlled when you have healthier employees."

The program provides employees and spouses with health risk assessments which will be available at various locations around Grounds through Oct. 8. After this date, the program will be centered in the Human Resources department.

"Most everyone that came to the fair was very well-informed about the program," Pack-Gangluff said. "They had either read their program packets or already scheduled their biometric screening."

She added that Monday's fair provided a convenient opportunity to introduce the concept of following up on personal health checklists.

"We partnered with internal and external vendors who offer programs for the initiative," she said. "[The fair allowed us] to introduce participants face-to-face to these partners."

The fair's vendors represented a wide range of health-centered initiatives, including Whole Foods cooking demonstrations, a local physical therapy provider, an acupuncturist and a Weight Watchers booth. Free biometric screenings, which are used in the Hoo's Well program to tailor health plans to each individual's needs, were also available.

Launched Sept. 12, the Hoo's Well@ program t.

Students play a role in the program through the Intramural-Recreational Sports Department.

"At the health fair yesterday, many students offered additional classes and support for using the facilities," said Susan Carkeek vice president for Human Resources. "This fosters a sense of community between students and employees"