Cavs stumble in ITA finals

Although a number of players on the Virginia men's and women's tennis teams reached the final rounds of the ITA Atlantic Regional earlier this week, they failed to capture a single title.

Junior Jarmere Jenkins and the duo of senior Drew Courtney and junior Julien Uriguen reached the final round for the Cavalier men in Charlottesville, but all suffered untimely losses with the ultimate prize on the line. Jenkins, who secured singles championships at the regional event each of the last two seasons, fell against William & Mary junior Jamie Whiteford 6-3, 6-3. Courtney and Uriguen also lost in straight sets against a pair of Maryland foes to leave the hosting Cavaliers empty-handed.

At the women's event in Norfolk, junior Hana Tomljanovic competed in the singles final, and later in the doubles final with senior Emily Fraser. After splitting the first two sets in singles play with Maryland sophomore Cristina Stancu, Tomljanovic could not muster a victory during the third set, ultimately succumbing 6-0 against her opponent. Tomljanovic and Fraser also found disappointment in doubles play with an 8-4 loss against a Terrapin pair.

-compiled by Stacy Kruczkowski