Professor helps develop SIDS guidelines

Hauck works with task force to to revise parental recommendations

Medical School Prof. Fern Hauck and the American Academy of Pediatrics' Task Force on SIDS released an expansion of recommendations Tuesday for a safe infant sleeping environment. Hauck has served on the committee for the past two years.

SIDS is the unexpected, sudden death of a child under age 1 in which an autopsy does not show an explainable cause of death, according to the National Center for Biotechnology Information.

"This is one of the largest classes of infant mortality in the U.S.," said Norm Oliver, chair of the Medical School's family department.. "Evidence clearly shows we can prevent it through these recommendations."

Hauck's study includes recommendations for both new and old preventative measures. Changes since the last review in 2005 include the preventative measures of breastfeeding, immunizations and the removal of bumper pads.

The previous set of guidelines recommended the removal of soft and fluffy bumper pads, Hauck said.

"Basically, all kinds [of bumper pads] can pose some danger particularly for strangulation or suffocation," she said.

Breastfeeding also has been proven to reduce the likelihood of SIDS. Although breastfeeding always has been stressed for hormone nutrition, research on its ability to prevent SIDS was inconclusive until a few years ago, Hauck said. To draw a conclusion, Hauck published a combined analysis with colleagues, who together reviewed all the papers on the topic and deduced breastfeeding, especially when used exclusively, protected against SIDS.

Hauck said these guidelines are especially important in the college community where many students babysit.

"By following these recommendations, we really believe that the instances of SIDS and suffocations could be eliminated or significantly reduced," she said.

What remains the same are suggestions to place babies on their backs for sleeping, use firm mattresses, not smoke either during pregnancy or around the baby, and not share a bed with the infant but keep the baby nearby in the same room.