Dining director wins new award

Brent Beringer, director of dining services at the University, recently received the National Association of College Auxiliary Services and "On-Campus Hospitality" College Foodservice Excellence Award to honor his accomplishments in foodservice management.

The award was created this year to "recognize some of the many fantastic people who work in the college and university dining industry," said Greg Wallis, managing editor of "On-Campus Hospitality," a trade magazine distributed to the majority of colleges in the higher education foodservice business to report on the latest trends, issues and recipes in the foodservice industry.

Beringer received the award from NACAS during a ceremony at its annual conference in Orlando, Fla., according to a press release issued by OCH last week.

Wallis said Beringer was selected from a pool of about 20 nominees and stood out for the work he does both on-Grounds and for the surrounding community.

In addition to managing 24 retail dining locations, the press release noted Beringer's managing work in catering, vending and sports concessions at the University. Beringer has also "grown food sales" at the University by more than 41 percent since fiscal year 2003, according to the release.

Beringer could not be reached for comment.

-compiled by Michelle Davis