Reveling in the rematch

At some point this past weekend, between LSU "honey badgering" Arkansas and Alabama's Trent Richardson running over the mannequins dressed up as Auburn defensive players, the country began to accept the grim reality: We're on our way to an SEC West rematch in the National Championship game.

To the abject horror of fans who live outside the southeast and hate defense, the Tigers and Crimson Tide have all but clinched the top two spots in this weekend's season-ending BCS standings. As a result, the title tilt could feature two teams which hail from what has become college football's proverbial "1 percent" conference - and which failed to even win it.

Understandably, the 99 percent is none too pleased. In what has become an annual ritual more popular than the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show, fans and even coaches such as Stanford's David Shaw have slammed the broken BCS system for its shortcomings and clamored for a functional playoff format.

I would agree that "broken" is an apt word to describe any sort of playoff format which attempts to arbitrarily determine the two best teams in the nation with a combination of the perpetually skewed coaches' rankings, obfuscating computer formulas and something called the "Harris Interactive Poll" which I'm pretty sure is code for "We couldn't convince the AP Poll to participate in this ludicrous system, so we just made these rankings up."

But as much as we enjoy bleating about the inadequacies of the BCS every year, we're stuck with it for the foreseeable future. And against all odds, the BCS will get it right Sunday. LSU and Alabama are far and away the two best teams in the country, and each has earned the right to play for the hallowed crystal ball.

What's more, we should all be ecstatic that the two SEC behemoths will be meeting each other again.

LSU and Alabama indisputably have established themselves as the two strongest teams in the nation