tableau's Best & Worst of 2011

Best movies: \n1. Drive

This slick, stylish crime drama allows outstanding veteran actors like Albert Brooks and Ron Perlman to take on their most complex roles ever, even as it showcases rising stars as Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan.

2. Warrior

Invigorated by two powerhouse performances from Joel Edgerton and Tom Hardy, this mixed martial arts movie packs enough of a punch to knock out all five Rocky films - at the same time.

3. Melancholia

The incomparable Lars von Trier has struck again with this revisionist disaster film, which somehow manages to make a hopeful and serene movie out of a catastrophe of epic proportions.

4. The Tree of Life

Director Terrence Malick has provided artsy audiences with the year's most profound, albeit deliberately-paced, portrait of humanity and the mysteries of existence.

5. Bridesmaids

Kristen Wiig and Rose Byrne lead an impressive ensemble to new comedic heights as they tackle scene after scene of both high- and low-brow humor; the "three best friends" of The Hangover ain't got nothin' on these fantastic females.

Worst movies:\n1. Abduction

A laughably terrible script, monotone acting and ridiculous directing makes Abduction the holy trinity of cinematic failure.

2. Shark Night 3D

No, you didn't read that incorrectly - "3D" is actually part of the title.

3. Bucky Larson: Born to be a Star

This is the story of an average man making porn and being average at it, which makes average men feel good about themselves. Yes, that is seriously the plot, which is somehow the best aspect of the movie.

4. Jack and Jill

Adam Sandler isn't funny as a man, and he's certainly not funny as a woman.

Best new TV:\n1. Game of Thrones (HBO)

A Lord of the Rings-esque fantasy world which features interesting characters, action-packed battles and Sean freakin' Bean. Enough said.

2. Hell on Wheels (HBO)

If Deadwood has taught us anything, period-piece dramas set in the Old West - or the East in this case - are ratings gold.

3. American Horror Story (FX)

Creepy storylines and psycho-sexual tension abound in this deliciously scary new FX series.

4. New Girl (FOX)

Love it or hate it, Zooey Deschanel's dorky but lovable persona is mined for some solid laughs on this new sitcom.

5. Person of Interest (CBS)

Anyone remember that guy who created Lost (J.J. Abrams)? How about the creepy guy who played Benjamin Linus (Michael Emerson)? Well, they've reunited for the action-packed Person of Interest, and fans of either should definitely tune in.

Worst new TV:\n1. Terra Nova (Fox)

Despite its dinosaurs and fun CGI effects, Terra Nova has the same trite lines and silly plot twists as any other boring and overhyped network drama.

2. Charlie's Angels (ABC)

Thankfully canceled after only eight episodes, the storyline went nowhere, and the show somehow managed to take away the sex appeal of smoking actresses like Minka Kelly.

3. The Playboy Club (NBC)

Canceled after only three episodes, the writers and producers of this show tried and failed to portray the life of a playboy bunny as glamorous and wonderful. The writers relied on nostalgia to add to this vision of glamor, but in the end, nothing could save these bunnies.

4. Whitney (NBC)

This show is simply painful to watch, and despite high hopes, it will never walk in the shoes of the other great NBC sitcoms.

Best albums you probably haven't heard:\n1. M83: Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Hurry up and download the exultant sixth album from French synth-pop guru Anthony Gonzalez. It's candy-coated electronica at its finest, and every gloriously layered track demands attention.

2. Bon Iver: Bon Iver

Often haunting, always beautiful, Justin Vernon's latest record takes listeners on an emotional, high-concept journey through 10 tracks, each named for a different city.

3. The Horrible Crowes: Elsie

Gaslight Anthem's Brian Fallon gives fans the best side project of the year with this impressive collection of bluesy alt-rock that's equal parts Springsteen and The Afghan Whigs - which is a huge compliment.

4. Childish Gambino: Camp

After garnering some serious Internet buzz, comedian Donald Glover's rap project is poised to take off with Camp, a surprisingly hard-hitting album which showcases Glover's acerbic wit.

5. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds: Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

The former Oasis frontman creates a lush array of adult-alternative tracks, highlighted by the sweeping love song "If I Had a Gun."

Worst Singles:\n1. "Friday," Rebecca Black

Songs from the teen's much-maligned label Ark Music Factory could single-handedly occupy every position on this list.

2. "Dance (A$$)," Big Sean

"Wobble-dy wobble-dy wa wobble wobble." I don't care if this song has more beats than I can count - somebody throw Mr. Sean a dictionary.

3. "Red Solo Cup," Toby Keith

There's some confusion as to whether this song is supposed to be a parody. We truly hope so.

4. "What the Hell," Avril Lavigne

I just cannot bring myself to 'jam out,' 'play' and 'mess around' to the pre-teen warbling of a 27-year-old punk princess. Why'd it have to get so complicated, Avril?

5. "Yankin," Lady

Perhaps Lady should be lauded here for her post-feminist declarations. Of course, you have to understand what she's saying first. And then possibly wipe away all the tears you shed for the future of mainstream music.

Best Cville concerts:\n1. The Avett Brothers

They're folk, rock, indie, bluegrass, country and after two consecutive shows, they've raised the bar for concert performances.

2. My Morning Jacket

If you Google this band, Google asks if you meant: "best possible rock band to see in concert this millenium."

3. Pretty Lights

Whether it was the smooth electronic beats, bass-thumping dubstep, entranced crowd or simply the light show, Derek Smith killed it. Needless to say, if you missed Pretty Lights, you missed out. Big time.

4. Portugal. The Man

A little prog, a little electronic and a lot of soul-charged rock made Portugal. The Man a must see. The performance was nothing short of transcendent.

Worst fashion trends:\n1. The Barbour Jacket

No, it doesn't keep you that warm, and it went out of style in Europe at least five years ago.

2. Vera Bradley

Seriously, it looks like flowers vomited all over your bag.

3. Ruffled Tank Tops

If you actually have a hint of a d