A look forward at science in 2012

2011 was an important year in science. In January, scientists used the Kepler space telescope to find the smallest planet ever discovered until that point, while in March scientists in Fukushima attempted to contain the nuclear meltdown following the tsunami. Furthermore, the U.S. government said its last hurrah to its space program with the shuttle Atlantis. Even more interestingly, at the end of the year, OPERA scientists furiously scratched their heads about the possibilities posed by the speed of neutrinos.

In a span of one year, science progressed greatly. What great expectations we have for 2012! From technology to environmental studies to health care, especially with this being an election year, I believe there are many things to be excited about this upcoming year.

Technology appears poised to take on a greater presence in our lives. For example, Facebook is expected to reach one billion users this year and smartphone sales are predicted to pass the number of computer sales in the United States. Even globally, technology will continue to affect us all.

In the realm of information sharing, cloud computing is likely to play a bigger role in 2012. The application which allows information and data to be linked between computers and tablets makes sharing within a company via the Internet or an internal server easier. For example, the Spanish banking group BBVA has already moved its company to Google Cloud.

Furthermore, apart from the upgrades in Internet services