Meryl Streep, Alexandra Roach bring depth, subtlety to depiction of iconic British prime minister

One of the most controversial political figures in British history graces the big screen in the biopic The Iron Lady. As Britain's first female prime minister, Margaret Thatcher played a 10-year game of chicken with Irish terrorists, trade unionists and strikers, successfully defended a little-known British colony in the South Atlantic and fought tirelessly against political misogyny. However, in portraying these victories, "The Iron Lady" underplays the more controversial aspects of its protagonist - her obstinacy, her tenuous relationship with her children and the potentially harmful economic impacts of her domestic politics.

The film unfolds through the memories of an aging Thatcher grappling with dementia. There is no doubt that Meryl Streep as the mature Thatcher gives an incredible performance. She captures the dynamism and considerable breadth of Thatcher's character, fearlessly tackling an icon who - unlike recent biopic subjects Marilyn Monroe, J. Edgar Hoover and Wallis Simpson - is still living. Streep's inspired performance portrays the multifaceted Thatcher as she moved between her various roles from a stalwart public figure to a conflicted wife and mother. Alexandra Roach, who plays the younger Thatcher, more than holds her own against the veteran Streep, convincingly capturing the nuances of her role.

Unfortunately, the supporting cast of the film fades into the background, emerging at awkward moments as caricatures of themselves. Jim Broadbent as Thatcher's doting husband Denis becomes a bumbling character whose sole purpose seems to be providing comic relief. Thatcher's daughter Carol, played by British actress Olivia Colman, is given even less opportunity to develop as a character. Given the film's one-dimensional characterization of the Thatcher family, it is little wonder that it chose not to attend a private screening of the film.

Streep's portrayal of a senile Thatcher connects a narrative which otherwise would have been fragmented and incomplete, but director Phyllida Lloyd should undoubtedly be praised for her eager attempt to break 30 years of British politics into digestible pieces. For example, one scene with crowds of increasingly aggressive strikers protesting against the closing of coalmines effectively captures the controversy surrounding Thatcher's policies.

Yet for anyone with a passing knowledge of British history, it is clear that some of the colorful montages do not accurately depict the significance of certain pivotal moments in the country's politics, almost ignoring events which are still fresh in the British's collective memories. Case in point, The Iron Lady reduces the contentious Falklands War in the 1980s to a patriotic power trip.

As the title indicates, Thatcher is often viewed as a cold figure, but the film ironically shines brightest when focusing on the love story between Thatcher and Denis. The movie's emphasis on Thatcher's struggle with dementia brings the true message of "The Iron Lady" to light, as Denis and Maggie's devotion to each other shows that behind every great woman there is also a great man. In that way the film becomes about the best kinds of love - of men and of country.