Paper elects 123rd staff

The Cavalier Daily welcomes new managing board, junior board

The Cavalier Daily staff elected its 123rd managing and junior boards Saturday in Jefferson Hall.

Third-year College student Matthew Cameron, the paper's former executive editor, will replace the outgoing editor-in-chief Jason Ally. As editor-in-chief, Cameron will supervise the paper's departments and oversee its policies and decisions.

"Any time you step into a role like this, there's a lot of responsibility ... but I learned a lot from [the previous Managing Board] and I'm excited to have the opportunity to carry this forward," Cameron said.

Second-year College student Kaz Komolafe will serve as the next managing editor responsible for overseeing the daily activities of the paper's departments and supervising their progress.

Aaron Eisen, third-year College student and former opinion editor, will replace Cameron as executive editor, managing the opinion section of the paper.

To complete the Managing Board, The Cavalier Daily staff elected first-year College student Greg Lewis as operations manager and second-year College student Anna Xie as chief financial officer. Lewis will be responsible for networking operations and technology support, and Xie will assist with business operations, as well as advertising and circulation duties.

Ally said the work of this year's Managing Board will need to reflect the changes in print journalism and the media environment.

"The 123rd staff of The Cavalier Daily is taking off at a time when new staff members are trying to figure out the future of the paper in terms of how to remain financially viable in a changing economy," Ally said.

The Cavalier Daily staff also elected junior board members, choosing second-year College student Charlie Tyson and second-year College student Caroline Houck as assistant managing editors.

Second-year College student Michelle Davis and third-year College student Krista Pedersen, both former news associate editors, will serve as News editors.

The staff elected third-year College student George Wang and first-year College student Katherine Ripley as Opinion editors.

Former assistant managing editor Mike Lang, a third-year College student, will be Focus editor.

The staff elected second-year Engineering student Meghan Luff and first-year College students Rebecca Lim and Sylvia Oe as production editors.

Third-year College students Abbi Sigler and Caroline Massie, who is also a former Life senior associate, will serve as Life editors, and the new Graphics editors will be first-year College student Stephen Rowe and first-year Engineering student Peter Simonsen.

The Sports section will now be headed by former senior associate and third-year College student Ashley Robertson and second-year College student Ian Rappaport.

Third-year College student Thomas Bynum and third-year Engineering student Will Brumas will serve as the new Photography editors.

Elections for the 123rd junior board ended with the election of third-year College student Fiza Hashmi as editor of the Health and Science section and second-year College student Conor Sheehey and third-year Caroline Gecker as tableau editors.

"I won't be a stranger and I'll visit from time to time, but I won't overstay my welcome either," Ally said. "The new Managing Board needs room to spread their wings and it's not my place to influence them any more."

The new editor-in-chief says he anticipates a great year. "I'm excited about the people I'm going to be working with," Cameron said. "Everyone is so enthusiastic to be a part of this and there's a possibility to do great things."

Elections took place in Jefferson Hall with formal voting procedures. Candidates gave short speeches and staff voted anonymously.