Student Council supports Virginia21 actions

Resolution backs lobbying group

Student Council representatives yesterday evening passed a resolution 14-0 to signal the body's support of lobbying group Virginia21's efforts to increase funding for higher education.

Alex Reber, second-year Engineering student and co-chair of the Legislative Affairs Committee, introduced the resolution last month.

The resolution recognized the representatives from all of Virginia's colleges and universities who work with Virginia21, as well as Gov. Bob McDonnell who has "worked towards increasing this funding through every action possible," according to the resolution.

The resolution specifically thanked McDonnell for adding $320 million for higher education to his proposed budget, the biggest increase to Virginia's higher education budget since the founding of the community college system during the 1960s.

"The purpose of the resolution was to draw attention and act as a public form of thanks to all those who put their time and energy into making Virginia a commonwealth of opportunity," Reber said.

The resolution passed unanimously, although Michael Promisel, a representative for the College, expressed concern during the discussion about the support of Virginia21's actions. Promisel asked Reber to clarify the implications of Council's endorsement.

While the resolution supports Virginia21's efforts to increase funding for higher education, it does not support any of Virginia21's other stances.

"We were not explicitly in support of Virginia21, but we do support their effort to get more funding for higher education," said Kaity Houk, fourth-year College student and director of University Relations.

Council lost quorum midway through the meeting, and Council members were unable to vote on a bill which would amend the bylaws to introduce a Graduate Affairs Committee to the President's Cabinet.

Council members anticipate voting on the bill next week.