Council approves $90,000 operating budget

Student Council passed its 2012-2013 operating budget at its representative body meeting Tuesday evening, allocating about $90,000 in spending for upcoming initiatives.

The budget appropriates funds from both the Student Activities Fees (SAF) paid by students each semester and additional funds, known as non-SAF, obtained through agreements with companies. About $70,000 of the budget comes from the SAF funding.

Third-year College student Allie Mootz, Council’s chief financial officer, said in a Sept. 11 interview that Council had to make cuts this year because of decreased non-SAF funding. She said Council tried to keep the allocations among committees as fair as possible in light of the decrease.

The Student Affairs Committee is slated to receive the greatest amount of funding of the 13 Presidential committees, receiving more than $8,000 to allocate for initiatives such as the UVAirbus program, which drives students to Richmond or Dulles International airports for the start and at the end of the semester. The Academic Affairs committee will receive about $6,500 in funds, supporting events such as “Look Hoo’s Talking,” an annual event inspired by TED Talks.

Council will send the budget to the Vice President of Student Affairs Office for approval before funding is allocated.

Vice President for Organizations Neil Branch, a third-year College and Batten student, also presented a bill approving new SAF guidelines for the upcoming year. The amended guidelines seek to reduce spending through reimbursing CIOs less for expenses such as travel. “That’s just something we’re looking at when we’re dealing with less SAF funding than previous years,” Branch said. “This is one way we could reduce those costs.”