Connor Shellenberger and Cole Kastner selected in the PLL Draft

The pair of legendary Cavaliers will join the extensive brotherhood of former Virginia stars in professional lacrosse

Shellenberger and Kastner fight for a victory against Ohio State.

Tuesday evening, graduate attackman Connor Shellenberger and senior defender Cole Kastner were drafted into the Premier Lacrosse League — with Shellenberger going to the New York Atlas as the second overall pick and Kastner going to the California Redwoods with the 32nd pick. 

No program has had more first round picks in the PLL Draft than Virginia’s seven alumni currently playing in the professional ranks. Since the PLL was created in 2019, the Cavaliers have had a first round selection in every single draft — with Shellenberger serving as the latest addition. 

Shellenberger needs no introduction. The heartbeat of Virginia lacrosse, the crafty attackman is the all-time school leader in assists and has also earned a spot on four All-ACC teams. A native of Charlottesville, the 2019 No.1 high school recruit in the country has always represented his hometown Cavaliers with a winning pedigree. 

Shellenberger brought the 2021 National Championship to Virginia and continues to lead the Cavaliers to success. His 2024 statline is nothing short of tremendous, highlighted by a team-leading 71 points. Over the past four years, Shellenberger has racked up 310 career points — the most in Virginia program history.

With New York, Shellenberger will reunite with former Cavalier Xander Dickson, who was drafted in the second round by the Atlas in 2023. During their time with Virginia, the dynamic duo produced a combined total of 381 points. With Shellenberger orchestrating the offense, Dickson was able to generate a school-record 61 goals in 2023. The Atlas’ offense should likely soar to unprecedented heights with such a potent connection restored.

Kastner has also achieved an illustrious career with the Cavaliers. Standing at a towering 6-foot-7, he has been crucial in helping Virginia take steps towards locking down any opposing offense that stands in his way. He was honored as the ACC Defensive Player of the Year in 2022 for his efforts. Kastner also keenly hunts down the ball — evidenced by 116 collected ground balls throughout his career plus a career-high five caused turnovers in a massive comeback victory over then-No.16 Harvard earlier this season. 

Kastner will also encounter some familiar faces in the pros. Defensive midfielders Chris Merle and Ricky Miezan, midfielder Charlie Bertrand and long stick midfielder Jared Conners — all former Virginia teammates with Kastner — are key contributors for the Redwoods. However, before joining California, Kastner will be heading to Stanford to play for its men’s basketball program in 2024-2025. 

Before Shellenberger and Kastner begin their professional careers, unfinished business remains at Virginia. The two leaders will be dearly needed for an upcoming postseason run. The Cavaliers are down in the dumps — having lost four consecutive games for the first time since 2013. They will have to rebound quickly, as a date with No.13 St. Joseph’s is on deck Saturday at noon in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. 

Virginia gets the boost of home-field advantage at Klöckner Stadium, but should they win, another contest against rival Johns Hopkins likely awaits. Earlier this season, the No.3 ranked Blue Jays handed the Cavaliers a sour 16-14 defeat. Diligent eyes on the postseason aside, for now, Shellenberger and Kastner — as well as Coach Lars Tiffany and staff — can celebrate the continuation of their legendary lacrosse careers.