First Vice Provost for Arts to resign in January

<p>Elizabeth Turner, Vice Provost for the Arts to resign at the start of next semester</p>

Elizabeth Turner, Vice Provost for the Arts to resign at the start of next semester

The University will lose its first and only Vice Provost for the Arts in January. Elizabeth Hutton Turner announced last week she will step down from her position as vice provost at the end of her five-year term.

The University crafted the post five years ago to elevate the “visibility of the arts” at the University, University spokesperson Marian Anderfuren said.

Turner, also a modern art professor, said she plans to go on leave for two years after she steps down. “I feel that is a good juncture to make a transition,” Turner said. “I have accomplished major initiatives, and the ones that were not completely fulfilled are in place so that others can complete them.”

Turner captained the expansion of the Betsy and John Casteen Arts Grounds, which included overseeing the construction of Ruffin Hall, the Hunter Smith Band Building, and the forthcoming addition of a 300-seat theater to the Drama Building, according to a University statement released last Wednesday.

The search for Turner’s replacement is already underway, though Anderfuren said it would be an internal search. Provost John Simon last week launched a five person search committee tasked with finding Turner’s replacement.

Turner denied the possibility that her decision had anything to do with lingering unrest following the attempted ouster of President Teresa Sullivan this summer.

“I have three degrees from the University and I would never abandon it,” she said. “I am dedicated to this administration and its ideals, and I am proud of [the] faculty and administration. I think we are on a good path and see the way forward.”