Britney hits one more time

a look into her first album reveals the backbone of Spear's popularity

Britney Spears’ debut album …Baby One More Time offers up timeless songs that provide the perfect frivolous jams as summertime approaches. From the time the McComb, Miss. native broke into the music scene. my generation was enthralled with the blond beauty, blasting her first album out of our boomboxes late into the afternoons after school.

Hailing from the superstar-breeding Mickey Mouse Club as a young girl, she was already a proven prodigy. But even her vocals were something to marvel over. In “Sometimes” and “Born to Make You Happy,” Britney beautifully conveys her emotions in her lyrics, a stark contrast from her latest hits like “Circus.”

The hit single “Baby One More Time” is upbeat and Britney’s voice is edgy, making it one of my favorites on the album, and with lyrics like, “Give me a sign/Hit me baby one more time,” the pop star reveals she’s not quite as shy as her innocent album cover art would suggest. Throughout the album, the lyrics capture the story of a teenager in love, a storyline I found captivating as a young girl. “You Drive Me Crazy,” which deals with Britney’s deep feelings for a boy, is another one of my favorite tracks on the album.

But even the most wonderful albums can have flat moments. “I Will Still Love You,” a duet featuring Don Phillip is unmemorable at best, and a blemish on the premier Britney album at worst. That was the first clue that this teen-queen wasn’t perfect — the shaving of her head 10 years later sealed the deal.

…Baby One More Time is nevertheless a successful first album. The lyrics are primarily about love and relationships, which the average teenage girl can relate to — I know I did. This album resonated with fans across the globe and continues to be popular today. People still dress up as Britney in her “Baby One More Time” schoolgirl outfit for Halloween and reference her glory days when they see her floundering on X-Factor. Britney began her topsy-turvy career with this album, and whether you like her or not, …Baby One More Time helped to define a generation.