The Snowquester: Snow storm hits Charlottesville

For the third time this academic year the University has canceled classes with Charlottesville receiving more than 15 inches of snow Wednesday. When the announcement appeared on the University website at 6 a.m. many students breathed a collective sigh of relief, as midterms were postponed and deadlines were pushed back.

Around noon, Pat Lampkin, vice president and chief student affairs officer, issued a statement urging students to stay inside for safety reasons. “Your best bet is to stay where you are today and not to venture out,” Lampkin said. “Falling tree limbs are especially a hazard, given the heavy weight of this snow.”

University officials also announced the closure of many University facilities. The Aquatic & Fitness Center, North Grounds Recreation Center, Slaughter Recreation Center and Memorial Gymnasium as well as IM-Rec Sports Business office are closed.

Within the University Health System, the outpatient surgery system, outpatient clinics, Student Health and CAPS are all closed through Wednesday. Students who are experiencing a medical emergency are urged to call 911.

All dining facilities in Newcomb have been operational throughout the day. Both Runk and O’Hill are running on limited service because of restricted capabilities due to power outages in the area. Café McLeod, Einstein Bros Bagels shops in Rice and the Bookstore, and the POD in Medical Education are closed.

Because of poor weather conditions, UTS suspended transportation services. Charlottesville Area Transit, however, has resumed service for the Free Trolley and the Route 7 bus.

Gov. Bob McDonnell declared a state of emergency late Wednesday morning for the state of Virginia. “Due to the nature of this storm, power companies in Virginia are expecting that it will take multiple days to restore power,” he said in the statement.

On Grounds, most of the power outages are concentrated in the first-year residential areas.

McDonnell said state agencies are using more than 10,000 pieces of equipment for snow- and ice- control activities to maintain state highways and facilities in the midst of the storm.