Top 10 Reasons Why Spring Break Tops School

We know why you didn't want to come back

1. Mom’s cooking:
I gave myself a rule when I went home last week: calories consumed during spring break don’t count. Whether it’s for your parents cooking, a favorite restaurant,or exotic delicacies on a trip, it’s hard to stay healthy. Though it’s hard to rationalize eating three O’Hill grilled cheeses in one meal, a big dinner at home followed by a milkshake trip with your friends is totally an acceptable thing. And to those who went away: the spring break diet had to end sometime, and when better than now?

2. Having a car:
As a first-year, and thus unable to have a car, it’s easy to “accidentally” spend all day in your dorm avoiding the rain simply because it’s too much of a hassle to get wet. Being home and reunited with my car, the weather couldn’t stop me from doing anything. Plus, everyone knows that the best acoustics for your voice come either in the shower or the car, so when it rains and you’re driving, you get the best of both worlds. Sure, riding the free trolley in the rain could work just as well, but I doubt
anyone wants to hear off-tune selections from Daughtry’s debut album.

3. Getting a tan:
It’s about that time of year when my skin is borderline translucent. I’m so pale I had to buy a new shade of makeup. Spring break is synonymous with sun, beaches and warmth, so where better to get your tan on? But, don’t be like me and “forget” sunscreen the first day — the red lobster look is not cute on anyone.

4. Spring break wardrobe:
As the queen of inappropriate flip-flop usage – I once wore them to Clem in the middle of November because I was too lazy to put on my boots — I can vouch that letting your body breathe a little is a great feeling. Step out from behind those big sweaters, wash your leggings — because we all know you’ve been wearing them for a month straight — and give your jeans a rest. Your soon-to-be tanned body will thank you, and a flowy top will hide all that weight you’re probably gaining.

5. Reuniting with family — and pets:
Because I live so far from Charlottesville, I never have the chance to just head home for a weekend if I need a mental break, or just want to see my family. So, going home is always a welcome opportunity to spend time with the people that love me the most. Sure, my mom may make up inside jokes with herself, and my dad may be addicted to Instagram, but that’s what makes family so great! Going home is also an amazing opportunity for that mass Snapchat of your dog, because that’s almost obligatory at this point.

6. Catch up on TV:
I challenge you to find something more relaxing than eating Nutella in your bed for hours with nothing better to do than watch Netflix.

7. Weather:
Between the never-ending rain and the 14-inch snowfall that covered Charlottesville as we all left, there are few signs that spring is actually approaching. Trekking out to fraternities or bars in sub-freezing weather almost makes you wonder if it’s worth it, but spring break is an opportunity to bring U.Va. nightlife to the beach. It’s a known fact that frat stars are a lot easier to deal with after a piña colada.

8. A chance to disconnect:
It’s very rare to have a face-to-face conversation with anyone these days without someone texting their way through it. We’re texting through class, texting at the gym, texting at lunch — it’s a wonder our hands haven’t turned into phones yet. International spring break trips mean your phone won’t work, leaving those hands free for a cold drink. Your #nofilter Instagram of your beachside barbeque can wait until you’ve returned.

9. Unwanted/wanted advice:
Who knows you better than anyone in the world? Your mother. Who knows the worst time to give you advice you don’t need? Your mother. But she’ll also give you some good advice too, and that doesn’t always translate on the phone. Up close and personal nagging isn’t always my favorite thing, but it beats 23 missed phone calls.

10. No responsibilities:
Spring break is never a time for work. Postponed midterms can wait until Sunday and homework can too. Club Clem will be right there where you left it. Sure, it pays to get ahead in your classes, and you’d probably thank yourself later, but give yourself some mental rest and relaxation. Your brain needs it!