Institute kicks off Humanities Week

Events celebrate less recognized fields, Levenson says

In celebration of the University’s humanities scholars and programs, the Institute of Humanities and Global Cultures began the second-annual Humanities Week Monday. Created by the institute’s director English Prof. Michael Levenson after he delivered a TEDTalk last year, Humanities Week is part of an effort to revitalize interest in the humanities in an era of heightened focus on more profitable fields in the sciences and technology.

“We are confident in the importance of what we do, but we feel it is an urgent time to speak out about the importance of humanities,” Levenson said.

The events, which will include a series of readings, lectures and discussions to showcase various forms of the arts, were organized collaboratively by the Undergraduate Humanities Initiative, graduate students and faculty.

Fourth-year College student Hilary Hurd, the former student representative on the Board of Visitors, will host an event Tuesday which brings together undergraduate and graduate students for conversations about how they can collaborate on research in the humanities. Hurd also helped organize a breakfast club discussion with art director Bruce Boucher about Edith Wharton’s “Roman Fever” for Friday.

“The beauty of the week is that it is a way to showcase a lot of events that already happen on Grounds,” Hurd said.

Levenson and students from the institute organized a smaller event last year, but aimed to make this year a more comprehensive and publicized project.

“Last year was at the last minute and very homemade,” Levenson said. “This year it’s just what you would hope [to have] more people and a bigger canvas to work with.”