Praxis Network promotes digital humanities study

Scholarly Communications Institute debuts international network

In an effort to increase inter-university collaboration in studying digital humanities, the University’s Scholarly Communications Institute debuted the Praxis Network Thursday. As part of its first stage, the network will create a website for graduate students across the world to document their research processes and share them with other institutions, said Bethany Nowviskie, director of the institute.

The network, founded by the University’s Praxis Program, is an alliance of organizations from various colleges that all share missions similar to the University’s program — training graduate students in interdisciplinary digital humanities research.

Though the program’s website is intended for faculty and administrators interested in implementing similar programs at their respective establishments, it is not limited to professionals, said Katina Rogers, the institute’s senior research specialist.

“[W]e hope that the website is informative and inspiring for anyone interested in new possibilities for graduate and undergraduate humanities education,” Rogers said in an email.

The network hopes to use the website as a launching ground for expansion in the coming years. “We are meeting this summer to discuss next steps, which could include collaborations across the network, travel and mentorship opportunities, [and] an expanded list of programs,” Nowviskie said in an email.

The Praxis Program, started in 2011, trains six graduate students each year from a variety of disciplines on how to improve methodological practices and incorporate digital technologies in their research, Nowviskie said.

“[We provide] concrete skills in software development, design, communications, project management and interdisciplinary collaboration, all within a scholarly framework,” Nowvisckie said.

In a world bent on technological advances, Praxis fellow Cecilia Márquez said she believes her studies with the program will prove invaluable, both within and beyond academia.

“There are questions that [digital humanities] tools allow us to ask and answer that traditional forms of research cannot,” Márquez said in an email. “It is exciting to be trained in this field and be able to be on the cutting edge of these innovations.”