Swimmers finish 27th at NCAA Championships

Six Cavaliers earn honorable mention All-American distinctions; Michigan wins title

The Virginia men’s swimming and diving team concluded its season last weekend with a 27th place finish at the NCAA Championships in Indianapolis. Six Cavaliers earned honorable mention All-American honors at the meet.

The Cavaliers opened the meet last Thursday on a somewhat disappointing note and did not send any athletes into finals. Two relay teams, the 400 medley relay and 200 freestyle relay, placed in the top 25, and junior Jan Daniec finished 24th in the 500 freestyle.

Friday was marked by a historic performance by sophomore diver JB Kolod, who registered the highest finish ever by a Virginia diver in school history. Kolod finished 12th in the three meter springboard event and merited honorable mention All-American status in the process.

Four more Cavaliers earned honorable mention honors Friday in the 800 freestyle relay. That team of freshman Nick Alexiou, juniors Parker Camp and Jonathan Buerger, and senior Tom Barrett finished in 13th place.

Freshman Luke Papendick’s impressive 200 back performance highlighted the Cavaliers’ exploits Saturday. Papendick broke the school record in the event en route to winning the consolation final and earning honorable mention All-American honors. Pappendick’s finish was the highest of any Cavalier in the three-day meet.

Also on the meet’s final day, juniors Brad Phillips and Daniec tied for 22nd in the 1650 free, and junior Taylor Grey finished 18th in the 200 breast.

Michigan won the men’s title at the meet, dethroning defending champion California, the runner-up.

— compiled by Matt Comey